< comics/x >
FLAGWAIVER
($2.00 from Ben T. Steckler / PO Box 7273 / York, PA / 17404 USA. E-mail:
bsteckler@suscom.net)
Written and drawn by Edna Lifenshurnz,
Flagwaiver is something of a cautious acceptance of fanatical post-9/11 patriotism. The protagonist, while wandering through town, experiences so much flag-waiving (both literally and figuratively) that his head spins. How does he process his country's newfound solitude? Well, check it out for yourself and see. This is
almost a wordless comic and much of the humor comes from the iconic conversations between characters. I should also note that the color wraparound cover sports and effective flag design and that one dollar from each copy sold will be donated to the
Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
< comics/x >
R. CRUMB SKETCHBOOK Vol. 9
(Fantagraphics Books, www.fantagraphics.com)
I probably don't have to tell you who Crumb is or what his work is like. You probably already either love it or hate it. This series is for fans of the man's drawing ability. Crumb, I guess, has always habitually kept a sketchbook and thank goodness, too. If, like me, you just enjoy looking at artists' sketchbooks, then I definitely recommend this series. Personal politics and controversy aside, Crumb is a pretty amazing cartoonist/illustrator. This ninth volume covers October 1972 to June 1975, which means there are still 18 years of sketchbooks to come. Astounding.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
[ Link to this item ]