< comics/x >
SHPILKES #1
(Post Apocalyptic Funhouse / PO Box 12253 / Berkeley, CA / 94712-5253 USA. Web:
www.altgeek.net)
Frederick Noland's comics are grotesque, but in a positive, life-affirming way. They're the kind of comics, though, that make you wish you knew a little less about the human race and, in my case, make me wish I didn't live in the South. The longest piece here is a tale of hillbilly legend that teeters briefly on the brink of Dave Cooper-style kinkiness. Said kinkiness results in backwoods pandemonium of the sort that, in my heart of hearts, I know is too fantastic to
not be true. The other story features the bickering of cantankerous trendies bookended by the musings of a modern-day Romeo. That's a crappy description, but it's my favorite piece in the issue. Fredo says "'Shpilkes' is a Yiddish word loosely translating to 'pins and needles' or the quality of something that makes you ill at ease." Indeed! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go wash my hands.
-------------------------------------------
[ Link to this item ]