< comics/x >
RANDOM ORDER COMICS AND GAMES #3
($2.00 from James V. West / PO Box 241 / Somerset, KY / 42502-0241 USA. Web:
www.randomordercreations.com)
I really don't see that many comics in the fantasy/sword & sorcery vein these days, but I'd definitely like to see more if they're as well done as James West's. My favorite pieces in this issue are the first and the last. The first is the beginning of "Sword of the Red King" in which Our Hero, whilst working on just another job, finds himself possibly joining the cause of those he was to steal from. I suppose the story is not exactly groundbreaking, but I enjoy the ease with which it's told. James' artwork has a nice clean cartoony look with lots of texture; it's good stuff. The last feature is a selection of "Trollbabe" strips (in a daily format, written by Ron Edwards) in which the heroine falls in love with a looney (or does she?). These two features make this issue worth it for me, but you also get four more pages of comics by James, a fully-developed role-playing game by Eric Carl Alexander (that he illustrates) and covers by Will Terrell and Paul Laine (plus a pin-up by James and Dawna Keeney). Good stuff.
-------------------------------------------
[ Link to this item ]