< comics/x >
HICKEE
(Alternative Comics,
www.indyworld.com/altcomics)
This is, I think, the third or fourth
Hickee anthology, but the first to be published by Alternative Comics. The
Hickee gang, for those who don't know, is a group of artists who all make their livings in animation but also like to draw comics. Funny comics. And thank [insert deity] for that. This volume is a collection of short strips, mostly one to three pages, that rank pretty high on the humor scale. Really, I laughed out loud many times. This band of cartoonists consists of Graham Annable, David Bogan, Paul Brown, Scott Campbell, Vamberto Maduro, Razmig Mavlian, Marc Overney, Derek Sakai, Nathan Stapley and Joe White. These are all funny folks, but the real stand-outs for me are Annable, White, Maduro and Campbell. Graham Annable and Joe White are both hilarious, but the real beauty of their work is in the timing and fluidity. I could be wrong, but I assume these skills were honed in animation. Whatever the case it makes all the difference. The work by Vamberto Maduro, oddly enough, sports my least favorite drawing style in the book but, again, great timing and pacing and great gags. Plus, he contributes a "Family Circus"-inspired gag I wish I'd thought of. Scott Campbell's stuff is just brilliant and would be at home in any Fort Thunder/Highwater-style anthology. "Caveman Ninja meets Zombie Jogger" is sheer genius. It's too bad he's only got two pieces in this one.
Another thing I like here is a series of one-page jams by members of the group. No specific credit is given as to who does what, they ape each other's styles and, in true jam fashion, these pages make for some of the nuttier entries in the book.
In this 128 pages, I'd say there are maybe 10 that don't do much for me. So, as I said earlier, it's funny stuff. Be on the lookout for the next volume to ship in September.
[ Link to this item ]