< zine:comics >
COMIC EFFECT #34
($3.50 from Jim Kingman / PO Box 2188 / Pasadena, CA / 91102-2188 USA. Web:
www.comiceffect.com)
Comic Effect is more of an old school fanzine in that its focus is reviews and reminiscences of comics new and old. Writers this issue include editor Jim Kingman, Mike Hall, Dan Beck, Steve Chung and Robert Andres and mainstream titles are discussed (no alternative stuff this time, but you still get a few Vertigo books, war comics, Alex Raymond's
Flash Gordon and a Gold Key
Star Trek). Having grown up on this sort of stuff, I've always dug where
Comic Effect is coming from with its slogan, "Emphasizing the Fun in Reading Comics". As a reader, it allows me to wax nostalgic as well as catch up on comics I hadn't heard about. I really enjoyed this issue's lead article by Mike Hall that details the history of Larry Lieber's failed Atlas Comics line of the mid-'70s since I never knew much about the company itself. Also, a couple of the titles discussed I'd never even seen before, so that's a plus. Another piece (also by Hall, in fact) that stands out for me is a review of Marvel's
The Ultimates, another project I knew nothing about but am now curious. As always, cover scans for each comic discussed are provided and those are half the fun. This issue was a bit late, so be advised that #35 has just come out (review forthcoming).
[ Link to this item ]