< comics/x >
GABAGOOL! #4
($3.00 from Mike Dawson & Chris Radtke / PO Box 1638 / Radio City Station / New York, NY / 10019 USA. Web:
www.mikedawsoncomics.com)
Mike Dawson won me over a couple of years ago with his
Cabaret Comics, so I was looking forward to reading this. This current project is produced in collaboration with writer Chris Radtke and it appears to be a successful partnership.
Gabagool! stars a group of nerdy friends who, in this issue, are looking for a good way to make use of some newfound wealth. The obvious choice for these lads, of course, is: anything that'll get 'em laid. So they go see the travel agent, who fills their heads with visions of squishy sex, and the trip is planned.
Radtke and Dawson have a knack for creating interesting characters that are funny and distinguishable from one another and that ability was certainly put to the test in this issue's hilarious back-up feature in which the main characters (as teenagers) engage in a captivating game of Dungeons & Dragons. I liked this very much. In fact, I hope I get a chance to read the previous issues just to catch up (although I should note that this issue is a fine starting point for the new reader). Good stuff!
[ Link to this item ]