< zine:personal >
ROAD SCHOLAR #2
(Alan Rankin / PO Box 200846 / Arlington, TX / 76006 USA.
E-mail)
In spite of the fact that your humble editor makes an appearance (there's a small photo even) in this zine, I think it's a better read than the debut issue. It's focused, engaging and really fits the bill as a zine of travel writing. This issue covers April, May and June of 2002 as Alan roams the countryside. He writes about Cancun and Chichen Itza in Mexico (ancient architecture, tourism, culture clash), a lecture given by art spiegelman, his take on the recent
Spider-Man movie, the Texas Hill Country, volunteering at the Chicago stop of the Rolling Thunder Down Home Democracy Tour (Jim Hightower's politically-minded carnival of sorts) and other stuff. This issue's also got a nice selection of color photos to illustrate the journal entries (a real plus, as far as I'm concerned). It's a good read and I'd recommend it to anyone curious about life on the road.
[ Link to this item ]