< tabloid >
ARTHUR July 2003
(
www.arthurmag.com)
If I didn't already know it, the cover alone would tell me that this rag's got
moxie. This special "Hooray for Empire!" issue sports a cover photo of David Cross waving a flag and talking on a cellphone while wearing an ensemble that includes a cross necklace and patriotic sweatshirt. If you're familiar with David Cross' work, then I think you can see the angle here. Other stuff in this issue: Alan Moore commentary on the US and UK governments, David Byrne's wartime journal, more commentary from Michael Moorcock and other subversive content. And the comics. For those who don't know, Jordan Crane and Sammy Harkham are the comics editors at
Arthur and this one's got comix/art by Martin Cendreda, David Lasky, Johnny Ryan, Carol Swain, Megan Kelso, Sharon Rudahl, Peter Kuper, art spiegelman, Crane and others. Oh, did I mention that it's free? Yeah, so go to the website for a list of places around the country where you can pick it up. Recommended.
[ Link to this item ]