< comics/x >
HAPPY: ZIRKUS
(Top Shelf Productions,
www.topshelfcomix.com.
For "Adults")
This new
Happy continues the story from
Cirkus New Orleans (one of Top Shelf's
Small Batch books) and follows cartoonist Josh Simmons in his travels with the End of the World Cirkus and the Know Nothing Family Zirkus Zidezhow, a beautiful (or grotesque, depending on your view) menagerie of freaks and madpersons. That is to say: sideshow performers. It's something of a travel journal in comix form and Simmons takes full advantage of that combination, not only in depicting the many outrageous events, but in page design as well. Really, I bet there aren't two pages designed alike.
I've been reading Josh Simmons' work since before he started using his real (?) name and I just love the stuff. He has a real passion for highlighting the beautiful ugliness of life that so many people pretend doesn't exist. In this issue you'll find recollections and visual depictions of what must be a remarkably disturbing show, a plush performer that sports a genuine phallus (he really performs, if you see what I mean), fistfights, puppet shows, "What's Up Your Ass?" (it's a guessing game!), an impromptu sex-change, anal love and oh so much more. I find myself repulsed by and enamored with these people and their lifestyle and I'm looking forward to reading more.
[ Link to this item ]