< comics/x >
SWEATERWEATHER
(
Alternative Comics,
Sara Varon)
Man, this is a good book. Sara Varon's comics tend to be sweet and understated and suitable for all ages. The majority of the strips are sans dialogue, which makes them more accessible for younger readers and those who don't read English. I think this book is great for adults, but I'd definitely recommend considering it for a kid in your life. The stories illustrate friendship, generosity, flights of fancy, the changing of the seasons, cooperation and community – all without being preachy. Also, the educational angle is covered by a piece on a bee farm and now I want to go outside and see if I can tell the difference between a worker and a drone. The comics in this volume are charming and lots of fun, but what really pushes this over the top for me is the production and all the little extras. Inside you'll find some added color (including several pages of full-color ready-to-use postcards), an insert (a clever addition to one of the stories), lovely paper dolls (in color) and a page of cool two-color Chickenopolis postage stamps. Recommended? Without question.
[ Link to this item ]