< comics/x >
HORSE! & RIDER #1
($1.50 from David King,
www.sweaterthieves.com)
This is an odd little comic by David King. I don't know what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The whole package owes a lot of inspiration to clean-cut 1950s nostalgia. It's not
about nostalgia – no, it's about a filthy pie thief – but the design is brimming with it. I mean, come on, look at that cover! The interior drawings are reminiscent of old advertising art, and I mean that in a good way. So, anyway, as I mentioned earlier, the comic's about a degenerate pie thief (don't let the snappy threads fool you) who disappoints his parents, loses his girl and befriends an inanimate object, all in a vaguely Ware-ian fashion. Come to think of it, the absurdity of it also brings to mind
Mr. Show. Or maybe that's just me. The point is it's worth checking out. As a matter of fact, I look forward to seeing more from Mr. King.
[ Link to this item ]